Individual Taxes Services

Casa Castillo Inc, has the expertise to provide you with the services that you need. Dedicated to keeping our tax preparation skills honed with continuing education courses throughout the year, we are highly qualified to prepare tax returns for all fifty states.
Our goal is to make the preparation process as easy as possible for you and minimize your tax liability with careful planning. Your tax preparation interview can be conducted either in person, by mail, or e-mail - whichever is most convenient for you. Whatever your circumstances may be, we are here to give you the best advice to help you get through life’s challenges.
Whether you need current year returns prepared or need to plan for retirement or your child’s education, our professional team can assist you with all of your needs.

What Do I Need To File My Taxes?

What you need to file your taxes varies depending on your situation. For example, a tax prep checklist for a self-employed college student may include a 1099 and 1098-T. However, if you weren’t in college and only received a W-2, you could skip those items on your tax documents checklist.
We are here to help you determine what forms and information you need to file your taxes.
Use the tax checklist below to find the documents and forms you'll need to get started.

Personal Information

Tax Identification Numbers are mandatory items on your tax prep checklist. All taxpayers will need the following information.

  • Your social security number or tax ID number

  • Your spouse's full name and social security number or tax ID number

Dependent(s) Information

Parents and caregivers should gather this information as they review what they need to file their taxes.

  • Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers

  • Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable

  • Income of other adults in your home

  • Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Sources of Income

Many of these forms won't apply every year. For example, you will only receive the investment forms you may need to file your taxes if you had distributions or other activity.

  • Employed: Forms W-2

  • Unemployed: Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G)

  • Retirement Income:

  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

  • Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)

  • Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

  • Savings & Investments or Dividends:

  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)

  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

  • Expenses related to your investments

  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

  • Transactions involving cryptocurrency (Virtual currency)

  • Other Income & Losses:

  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)

  • Jury duty records

  • Hobby income and expenses

  • Prizes and awards

  • Trusts

  • Royalty Income 1099–Misc.

  • Any other 1099s received

  • Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN

Types of Deductions

The types of deductions you can take depend a lot on your life situation. It’s likely you won’t need all of the records listed below for your tax documents checklist.

    Home Ownership:

  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements

  • Real estate and personal property tax records

  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (e.g., solar panels, solar water heater)

  • All other 1098 series forms

  • Medical Expenses:

  • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals

  • Health Insurance:

  • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)

  • Childcare Expenses:

  • Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler

  • Wages paid to a baby-sitter
    Don't include expenses paid through a flexible spending account at work

  • Educational Expenses:

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses

  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received

  • Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest

  • State & Local Taxes:

  • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid

  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid

  • Retirement & Other Savings:

  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions

  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

  • Federally Declared Disaster:

  • City/county you lived/worked/had property in

  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean up costs, etc.)

  • Records of rebuilding/repair costs

  • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid

  • FEMA assistance information

  • Check FEMA site to see if my county has been declared a federal disaster area

File The Way That's Right For You

With over 16 years of experience and ways to file taxes for everyone, you can trust us to get you your maximum refund—whether you meet us at the office or file comfortably from home.

  • File in-person: Work one-on-one with our local tax pro

  • Drop off your tax docs: Leave your files in our office

  • Send us your docs: Upload your info and we will do the rest

Tax Services Team

Our amazing team ready for work with you.

Veronica Castillo

Business Tax Preparer

Maria Hernandez

Tax Preparer

Erika Banuelos

Tax Preparer

Flor Lopez

Tax Preparer